Website APM Terminal
APM Terminals is the global terminal operating arm of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group. APM Terminals operates a Global Terminal Network of 76 operating port and terminal facilities and 117 Inland Services operations in 59 countries around the globe.
This position provides the leadership and direction for the day to day operations of the Container Terminal. Responsible to ensure the highest productivity in the terminal and to provide excellent customer service to the lines calling at the port.
Responsible for leading the terminal operations and a team of managers in the operations department. The main task is to maintain and create safe working conditions while ensuring and maintaining high productivity and cost-efficient operation.
• APM Terminals offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best.
• An opportunity to be part of a high-performance team that ensures APM Terminals is the most efficient, safe and profitable terminals in the region.
• Direct influence on strategic level decisions.
• Working with partners, shareholders, authorities and other stakeholders.
• Developing roles and responsibilities for a key terminal for APM Terminals in the region.
• Execute plans for the operations department of APM Terminals, which are set by the COO within the borders of business plan & budget.
• Manage the daily operations according to the agreed operating principles of the business & relationships with customers.
• Ensure compliance with HSSE policies & procedures by all operational staff.
• Deliver a level of service to customers that are equal to the best international standards.
• Enforce safe working practices and ensure lost time injuries are kept to a minimum.
• Ensure a cost-efficient operation and manage the Operations department budget.
• Liaise closely with shipping companies, customs agents, trucking companies, Customs, port authorities, and other statutory authorities to ensure that their requirements are met.
• Measure and monitor performance against critical criteria, policy and guidelines.
• Implement best operation practices with regards to advanced operations strategies and new technology.
• Ensure that the terminal adheres to APM Terminals global standards for container terminal operations.
• Liaise on a daily basis with labour unions (where applicable) and ensure industrial harmony with the workforce.
• Manage employee performance issues including training, appraisals, discipline, and grievances.
• The incumbent is expected to supervise a group of subordinate managers towards the achievement of results. Responsible for the execution of the operational activity.
• The incumbent is expected to contribute suggestions to improve existing methodologies, processes and measurements when executing duties on an ongoing basis.
• Manage the outsourced labour service providers from a strategic and tactical perspective.
We are looking for
• Based in Apapa, Nigeria, the Manager of Operations is responsible for managing their designated operation (Vessel, Rail, Yard and Gate Operations); ensuring safety, service and operating efficiencies are achieved.
• Preferable a university degree in logistics, maritime and port engineering or a marine qualification.
• Minimum 5 years in operations management roles in container terminals.
• Understanding of the container shipping industry and an ability to relate with the shipping company and other associated industry managers.
• Good communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organisation.
• Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations including computer terminal management systems.
• Extensive knowledge of APM Terminals operational practices.
• Some exposure to finance-related matters and reporting against financial objectives.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation, and assistance to meet objectives.
• Proficiency in English.